The Duluth Tribune was founded in 1870, the Duluth Evening Herald in 1883. In 1892 the Tribune merged with the Duluth News as the News-Tribune. In 1929, the Duluth Herald purchased the News-Tribune. In 1936, Ridder Publications purchased the papers. In 1982, the evening Duluth Herald was merged with the morning News-Tribune, becoming the News-Tribune & Herald. In 1988, Herald was dropped from the nameplate; in 2000, the hyphen was dropped. In 2004, the Duluth News Tribune purchased the Superior Daily Telegram as well as three weekly-publication newspapers including the Duluth Budgeteer News, Cloquet Pine Journal and Lake County News Chronicle and three zones of Manney’s Shoppers in the Superior, Cloquet and Two Harbors areas.
Located two-and-a-half hours north of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Duluth lies on the shore of Lake Superior, the largest freshwater lake in the world (by surface area). Duluth is the midpoint between the Twin Cities and Canadian border. The newspaper has a circulation area that covers 26,000 square miles across 15-counties in Northeastern Minnesota, Northwestern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, with limited distribution in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Our Web site, DuluthNewsTribune.com, serves customers in the Twin Ports region and beyond.