The Brainerd Weekly Dispatch was founded on Dec. 22, 1881, and became a daily after it was purchased by N.H. Ingersoll and F.W. Weiland in 1883. In 1931, Weiland, then the sole owner, sold the Dispatch to W.D. Junkin and Henry F. McCollough, in partnership with the W.J. McGiffin Newspaper Co. McCollough became publisher after Junkin¹s death in 1941. The McCollough family purchased the interest owned by the McGiffin Co. and in 1984 they sold the paper to Stauffer Communications of Topeka, Kan. Morris Communications Co. acquired Stauffer Communications in 1995. In May of 2004 the paper changed its name to the Brainerd Dispatch. Forum Communications Co. purchased the Brainerd Dispatch on Jan. 1, 2014.