MITCHELL, S.D. – The Daily Republic newspaper here received seven first-place awards from the 2014 Associated Press Great Plains News and Photo Contest.
Overall, The Daily Republic received 15 awards in the medium-size newspaper category. The contest was open to 40 Associated Press-member newspapers in three size categories in North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska.
The following is a list of The Daily Republic’s awards.
- Photo Feature, Sean Ryan, “Volleyball portrait.”
- Photo Sports Action, Sean Ryan, “Powderpuff football celebration.”
- Enterprise, Candy DenOuden, “Everybody has more stuff.”
- Editorial, Seth Tupper, “Politicians’ speeding is not funny post-Janklow.”
- Spot News, Chris Mueller, “Woman’s body found in rural Chamberlain shed.”
- Sports Column, Brooke Cersosimo, “Life’s like a marathon.”
- Sports Feature, Nick McCutcheon, “Titles up, teams down.”
- Photo Feature, Sean Ryan, “Kocmich is player of year.
- Photo General News, Sean Ryan, “Flu shot.”
- Photo Spot News, Candy DenOuden, “Get Well Soon raccoon.”
- Website, Denise Ross, The Daily Republic website.
- Feature, Chris Mueller, “SD ag’s ‘shining star of success.’”
- Photo General News, Sean Ryan, “Mayor at groundbreaking.”
- Photo Sports Action, Luke Hagen, “Play at the plate.”
- Headlines, Candy DenOuden.
The Daily Republic is owned by Forum Communications Co., a multimedia information company based in Fargo, N.D., which owns dozens of newspapers, websites, television and radio stations, and commercial printing plants in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin.